Operating systems

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
biskit67

Operating systems

Post by biskit67 »

Does anyone know when Microsoft's new OS is going to come out? Not that I will upgrade because I just recently upgraded my kids' computer from W98 to W2000, so I'm not exactly on the cutting edge.

(4/20)

darko

Post by darko »

well, windows vista, is going to be launched next year, but eeven if you want to upgrade, i don't think you'll be able, to do that, directly from 200, to vista, i think you're gona have to pass throw windows xp, plus if vista looks anything like the beta version of windows "longhorn", it has lots of parental controle features, that you can use for your kids, like setting time for games, and internet, and blocking unwanted materials off the web, and things like, that

and for more information, you should always check, on osavenue.com, witch has just launched, to keep track of all information, about Operating Systems

Regards
Darko
djspinux

Might I Suggest Mac OS X?

Post by djspinux »

I used Macs in Elementary school years ago when all there was available was the Apple II GS. Then, when I bought my own mac for home.... I had to replace it 5 times... needless to say, I was through with Macs! Then, about 2 years ago, a very close friend of mine re-introduced me to macs... this time with the UNIX-Based OS Mac OS X. Wow! I would have to say this OS is probablly the easiest, most user-friendly, secure, safe, and even more... technologically advanced OS yet! The parental controls on macs are phoenomenal.... the graphics capabilities are award-winning, and now, Macs are going to be built using Pentium's P4 technology and will even beable to run Windows like it was designed by Apple! Since Mac OS X is UNIX based.... to install a Virus is virtually Impossible.... and pop-ups.... what are those?? I don't remember the last time I saw one!! Surfing the net is actually fun again!! The best part is that you can even get the new Mac Mini for only $499!!! I swore by PC for the longest time after my nightmare apple stunt... but now, I'll never go back to PC!!
Peace*Love*Unity*Respect
~DJ Spinux~
TimedArt

Post by TimedArt »

I think it's great that Mac OS is moving to the Intel platform. Finally some real compatition for Microsoft. The whole security and stability issue with windows has really sent a lot of people (and businesses) looking for alternatives.

-TimedArt
Lisk

Post by Lisk »

AMD > Intel (currently atleast)
AValanche

Post by AValanche »

TimedArt wrote:I think it's great that Mac OS is moving to the Intel platform. Finally some real compatition for Microsoft. The whole security and stability issue with windows has really sent a lot of people (and businesses) looking for alternatives.

-TimedArt
Yeah, it will be great, but what if all people buy PCs and not Macs, as they will be able to run Mac OS on PCs? I think that this is very, very risky....
aalmighty

Post by aalmighty »

yeah, you can run Mac OS on a PC, but the problem is compatibility, many apps we use are not available for Mac OS. So there.

Mac OS, however won't run on a say, 6 month old AMD.
RivaCom

Post by RivaCom »

A friend of mine got to beta Vista, he has a 2.8 Ghz computer with 2 gig of ram, lets say 1.5/2 gig of ram was used when windows was ideal. and 86% cpu was used in idle mode. Now visually it is nice, but will it be worth it? probably not.
aalmighty

Post by aalmighty »

I'm betaing Vista too, with online updates from Microsoft from my other Box, A PIV 2.66 With a Gig of RAM, RAM used at normal running is about 260Megs with a Processor Load of 20-25 per cent. You cannot judge a software product on how resource consuming the beta is, During the report chat, a MS teamleader told us that they were planning to make Vista Final Run on a 1GHz Machine with 256 Megs of RAM. So There.
insane

Post by insane »

Cool, you guys got to beta. But I have XP, and works fine for me. Don't need Vista. But too many viruses and stuff...