[D]Kids of this generation is very different from ours

All other fun that doesn't go into either of the above categories.
thetarget

[D]Kids of this generation is very different from ours

Post by thetarget »

Hey guys, do you agree that children of this era is very different from our times(70s,80s)?

Recently, I brought a class of 30 age 9-12 kids to a nature reserve in Singapore. I was very suprised at their activeness and enthusiasm. They were very curious, and at the same time, they are packed with alot of knowledge, more of what we had during our times.

I can remember that during my times, I am with only a few children in my class that were as active. Thinking that these are the future competition, it wouldn't suprise me if i'm going to be under any of them.

Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I think that the internet helps with that, in the 70's and 80's, children didn't have the internet to help them study, and look things up. You had to go to a library and look through all the books of the topic and hope one of them has the information you want. Today, just go to Live Search or Google, and type in what you want.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

I think this is only a part of the reason.

Parents are being smarter, children and friends are being smarter. The society is being more competitive. Peer pressure. Different type of upbringing between our times and now.

Are children now smarter?
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I don't think so, the smartest person I know is my mother. And she isn't from this generation.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
4ran

Post by 4ran »

I agree that the 90s and 00s generations are soo far from ours.. the knowledge sourses are now everywhere and ease to use .. the internet, TV, newspapers, kids books,..etc everything is not there for anyone with almost no hard work to get..

but .. i don't like this way.. i mean for a kid at the age of 8 or 10 .. i really want anormal childhood with no computers not internet nor mobile phones .. i want anormal life were the one need to sweat to get something ..
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

4ran wrote:I agree that the 90s and 00s generations are soo far from ours.. the knowledge sourses are now everywhere and ease to use .. the internet, TV, newspapers, kids books,..etc everything is not there for anyone with almost no hard work to get..

but .. i don't like this way.. i mean for a kid at the age of 8 or 10 .. i really want anormal childhood with no computers not internet nor mobile phones .. i want anormal life were the one need to sweat to get something ..
well of course there are pros and cons. I'm exposed to computers at the age of 4... Can still rememeber the large "turbo" button on the casings. With handphones and computers, they don't entirely miss their childhood. Take the children I brought as an example, once they reach the nature park, they took out their phones and start snapping. Handphones (or mobile phone) can also give a boost to their enthusiasm. The cons, well, children nowadays become more materialistic, and it will be in their genes until the next generation.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Well I don't think children today are any more materialistic, The most recent piece of technology I use is a computer, and I use it mainly for communication purposes. With the occasional game of WoW.
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

hmm from my observation here in my place. Children are becoming more materialistic. Or simply, more arrogant. It is hard to describe, maybe ask someone in living Singapore.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

If chldren are being more arrogant, or materialistic. There are only 2 things to blame: School system, or the society they live in. You can't say it's the parents, that's too much of a co-incidence, that all those parents can be at fault.
sakhan

Post by sakhan »

I think The childrens of this era are really different from our generation because the availibility and ease of knowledge and the technology are the main concerned factors