Home Server

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
roalf

Home Server

Post by roalf »

Have you tried or are you hosting your sites with your own homeserver? I used to have a home server 5 months ago. Just to check my PHP sites before getting them online. But now that I'm using a forum, I'm not using a homeserver anymore. Too lazy to install MySQL and stuff. :D So how bout you guys? Ever tried it? I'm using a simple one called Abyss Web Server by Aprelium BTW.

Temple

Post by Temple »

You should try The Saint WAMP. It's Apache, MySQL, and other services installed for you. I use it for the same reason of testing my PHP scripts and testing forums skins, etc before uploading to a server.
roalf

Post by roalf »

Yeah I heard about WAMP and basing from the comments, I assume it's simplier than Abyss. But then I tend to stick with stuff I'm used to. I have no time and patience learning other stuff which does the same thing as the one I'm perfectly using with ease.
Temple

Post by Temple »

Well, it's just an installer and that's it, you're ready to go!
hip_hop_x

Post by hip_hop_x »

Wamp is good, they update the installer when new upgrades are availibe for php/apache/mysql. I have a low up speed and it's not good for a dedicated server, If someone will need help with dedicated servers on windows pm me. Icould help you installing a dedicated server and a control panel for it in exchange of few mb space.
...::: SZ Admin :::....
Rapboy

Post by Rapboy »

I used to run my own website from home with linux. But it's not a good idee to run your own hosting, cause the more popular it get's the more chance u get of getting hacked by some1. And u gotta have a good upload speed if u wanna have your own host. And btw u should also consider the fact that is gonna crash a few times( or more on windows).
^ Total Chaos.
Hoping to reach 1,000 post one day on SH
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I guess that a 256kbps connection isn't fast enough to host a home webserver?
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
hip_hop_x

Post by hip_hop_x »

lol 256 kbps aern't good. You will need minimum of 2mbps upload, oratleast 1mbps.
...::: SZ Admin :::....
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Figures :\ and isn't 256 kilobits per second only really 32 kilobytes per second?
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
Envoxia

bandwidth

Post by Envoxia »

Doesn't that eat up quite a bit of your bandwidth? Especially if you're planning on having a high traffic site.