100% Legal Freeware Windows Compatible

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
elicoten

100% Legal Freeware Windows Compatible

Post by elicoten »

Introducing ReactOS. Its free. It will be 100% compatbile with Windows. At the moment its very limited in what it can do. Its a Pre-Alpha release version 0.29 at the moment, but it opens up enough that you can see what it will eventually be able to do. They say that they are planning to make it 100% Windows compatible. If they do that will be amazing.

Check it out here.

On another note, I have also noticed Viopsys. This is another free operating system, though nowhere near as useful.

Anyone thinks this might be useful for them?

TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Honestly I would prefer to stay with my XP, even though it is suppose to be designed for XP. The system would override everything such as themes and such and replace it with older box sytles. Once it is fully developed then maybe I will look at it and try it then. Thanks for the link, and the thought.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

Of course you cannot use it now. Its still in Pre-Alpha stage which means its practially useless, but something to check on to see how far they get. It could mean big problems for Microsoft if they get it to work anything like XP does now.

Its way too early stages to know how compatible of how easy to use it will be, but judging by the success of other similar projects (Linux is another Open source operating system), it wouldn't surprise me if in a couple of years time it is one of Microsoft's top concerns.
gemini181

Post by gemini181 »

'Anyone thinks this might be useful for them?'

Sounds great once it's more mature. I expected to be using Linux by now, but I heard installing all the drivers can be a real pain.
skyline_music

Post by skyline_music »

this may sound like a silly question, but does this system actually do anything xp doesent do already?
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

Firstly, there's no such thing as a silly question - just some are easier to answer, that's all :D

As to the answer, at this stage, ReactOS is very preliminary and so it doesn't really do much at all. HOWEVER, I believe that if this project continues, then when it becomes more developed, it will do the same as Windows XP. Whilst you could say "I already have Windows XP, what do I need this for?", Windows XP is very expensive. ReactOS is completely free and will always be.

Basically ReactOS is a legal way to get a free copy of XP (but not just yet)

I hope this answers your question
boyvnca

Post by boyvnca »

let me try it, thanhs for sharing
Mizo

Post by Mizo »

I`ll try it but i`m like my XP SP2
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

That's exactly what ReactOS is for - people who like the functionality of XP, but without the price tag. Minor problem is that ReactOS is still too early alpha to be a realistic option at the moment.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

its ok but xp is awsome 8)