Ditched by SMoky

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
jasondsouza

Ditched by SMoky

Post by jasondsouza »

Today was one of the first days that I was really feeling angry that I hosted my site on smokyhosts... somehow... I couldn't understand what to do...

What happened is... I am the secretory of the IT CLub in my college.... and I had made a site called lemonoid.com on smokyhosts... We had the inauguration today of the web site... unfortunately Smoky servers were down... I couldn't believe it... Smokyhosts boast about its goodness and about it being free and 99.99% uptime... SHadmin should have at least alarmed the users about smokyhosts that it would be keeping the servers down today... Its not fair... I would still want to be a part of smokyhosts since they provide some of its features... But was totally disappointed today... couldn't believe it that it would be not working... after puttting up a site based on joomla etc. on the smoky servers they were not up today... no notice was given also... pathetic organization and management.... Felt bad...

--jasondsouza
ME working on a very new site. (Coming soon)
Come to my web Site
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Hi jasondsouza,
Am extremely sorry for the downtime and any inconvinience that it would have caused.

It wasnt a maintanence downtime that i could have let you know prior to when it happened. It happened as a result of emergency security measures as there was a hacker trying to get access to the server...

Infact that being the good news that the server is well secured and the hacker couldnt get in, but still it is our duty to ensure that he didnt leave any bots or infect any data. This cleaning measure took sometime. At this moment the server is online again.
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

jasondsouza, you have to realize that most of the time when the server is down it is beyond SHAdmin's control and we just have to live with that.

I am very lucky that the members of my website understand downtime and contact me on a forum asking for any updates. :D
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Most the time Smokyhosts has a great uptime standing, but a very few occasions which seem only to pop up when we need to access our sites the most lol end up occurring. The only time I have seen the servers down was only in extreme **** where I would rather my site go down then the worst occur. Please just have patience and trust that SHAdmin would ONLY bring down the servers when it is at the best interest of his clients both Free and Paid. I'm sorry it occurred when you needed it the most but I'm sure your club buddies will understand that your host brings down the servers when something bad could potentially happen to your website so without worrying about rebuilding or losing 5 - 10 days of work/data you have a brief downtime period. In my opinion it works out in the end, I hope you continue with Smokyhosts as I honestly have not found a better service myself and I have tried. :D
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
jasondsouza

Post by jasondsouza »

well i guess what happened has happened and no time to ponder about it... but the damage that it has done is irrepairable... An IT professional had come to inaugurate my web site hosted on smokyhosts... It was a club thingy... and the inauguration had to be done by opening the site in front of everyone... It had been projected using a LCD projector... the only ting that came on display was server not found... I had to face humiliation amongst a crowd since I was the secretory... That's why I felt extremely bad...
--jasondsouza
Come to my web Site
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

I am extremely sorry for the downtime jasondsouza, but me and other server administrators did all we could to get the server up again as fast as possible.

The actual downtime was totally out of our control, and trust me, if ever the downtime is planned, i will let everyone know atleast 24 hours before.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Jason in all honesty that would of probably been a fault of your own. With any and every host you must know ahead of time that sometimes downtime can occur at just the wrong times. It happens and cannot be controlled. Electronics have a wierd guarentee and sometimes just fails or power goes out at the server location... there are a ton of diferent effects that can cause downtime. If you plan on presenting your website in front of a huge gathering like that, your best bet is to screenshot what you plan on showing and make it into a slideshow. That way even if something happens you don't have to worry.

If the club is humiliating you for that then you should work on finding a better one!
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
damen57

Post by damen57 »

Yes, It is partially your fault, you should have at least had some sort of back up to show them. Nothing is up 100% of the time, It could have been much worse if the hacker got in.
jasondsouza

Post by jasondsouza »

fine... Its over let's lock this post or delete it...
--jasondsouza
Come to my web Site