Moving a forum

Any problem with PHP can be disscused here
Kaky

Moving a forum

Post by Kaky »

Hi everyone i just wanted to know if it could be possible to move a complete forum from an free host to a totaly new host with a diferent domain (can all the posts and pics be saved also and the user accounts????)????
Every bit of help apreciated :D :D

A funny picture -------> me , myself and i (too much for this world)
Lixas

Post by Lixas »

Yes, the answer to your question are yes.
here http://www.smokyhosts.com/forums/viewto ... 2201#21609 i have written about software. Using it you can transfer (have the same copy) to other host. And other way, that will realy be ok if you forum is in english- mysql dump files.
If in both hosts you have mysql (better the same version) you can use second way. If you will need more information post here what you need and all members (and also me) will tru to try to help you.
I have one more suggestion. If you trust in me, i can help you- i can transfer DB with a software. If you need that and you trust in me, contack me via PM and we will discuss what you should do that i could transfer the db information
Ky

Post by Ky »

There is an easier way to get near 100% compatability between sql migration. I've done this countless time the wrong way before getting it right. First off how large is your forum, if it's really large think about breaking up the sql dump into 2-3 parts. If it's vBulletin then you will need to make 3 parts. One sql file for everything before the phrase table, one sql for the phrase table itself, and another sql for everything after the phrase table.

Now before making each sql file remember to uncheck everything except "structure, data, and save as file" on the right side of the SQL tab. **** go to make each file.

As for the pictures they are saved when you backup your file directory from a ftp client. I just copy and paste back into my local copy.

Well this is a lot easier, but I hope this or the other way works for you.
Kaky

Post by Kaky »

If you trust in me, i can help you- i can transfer DB with a software. If you need that and you trust in me, contack me via PM and we will discuss what you should do that i could transfer the db information
Yes man i trust you and i beleieve in your expertese and will contact you when it will be needed , it is an invisions free power board and it is not mine but a forum of my friend that has a forum about ferrets and bought a domain and hosting and is thinkin of movin but until her page goes up she will not be wanting to move the forum and forum is aprox 16 MB in size.

Freedom Fighter

Post by Freedom Fighter »

Small? haha Tho I never knew this was possible but Im pretty sure I cant move forums from an Ipb to a e107 can I?
Kaky

Post by Kaky »

Freedom Fighter wrote:Small? haha
Do not get you ?!?! :lol: :?

mohumben

Post by mohumben »

Basic Instructions:

1. Dump MySQL data.
2. Copy all files.
3. Restore MySQL data.
4. Change settings on files according to the new set-up.

Code: Select all

define('I_LOVE_PHP', true);
jeremy90

Post by jeremy90 »

mohumben wrote:Basic Instructions:

1. Dump MySQL data.
2. Copy all files.
3. Restore MySQL data.
4. Change settings on files according to the new set-up.
and don't forget to copy the folders and files
Lixas

Post by Lixas »

Kaky wrote:Yes man i trust you and i beleieve in your expertese and will contact you when it will be needed , it is an invisions free power board and it is not mine but a forum of my friend that has a forum about ferrets and bought a domain and hosting and is thinkin of movin but until her page goes up she will not be wanting to move the forum and forum is aprox 16 MB in size.
Ok, i'm here and i can help you, if you still need that. PM me and we will discuss all details

By the way- files are allways easiest to transfer, mostly all problems are with DB migration

Topic is locked, because here is all possible ways to transfer DB from one host to another